This young jackfruit salad is served at a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant near my house. I love it so much and was able to copy it at home. It is sour and spicy like Thai Somtum (young papaya salad). It is served on top of Vietnamese sesame chips that are available in Vietnamese markets but it can be substituted with Indian pappadums. Originally, it is made with fish sauce but I am able to substitute is with vegetarian fish sauce. Bragg's Liquid Amino tastes similar to vegetarian fish sauce and can be used for this dish. With drizzles of Sriracha hot sauce, roasted peanuts, squeezed lime wedges, and chopped cilantro, this dish is crunchy, delicious, and refreshing.
2 cans young jackfruit in brine (each can is 8 oz drained weight, total = 1lb.), drained,rinse in water, squeeze out the water and cut into strips (vertically according to its grain)
2 tsp canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup shallots or green onions, chopped
1 cup Thai/Vietnamese basil, loosely packed, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs vegan sugar
2 1/2 Tbs Vegetarian Fish Sauce or Bragg's Liquid Amino
1 to 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dulse granules
1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup Thai/Vietnamese basil, chopped, optional
Fresh lime wedges
Sriracha hot sauce
Vietnamese sesame chips or Indian Pappadum
- Preheat wok. When the wok is hot, add oil, garlic, and onion. Stir fry until fragrant. Add young jackfruit strips, salt, sugar, black pepper, and vegetarian fish sauce or liquid amino. Mix and stir-fry in high heat for 10 minutes until spices are absorbed to the jackfruit. Add water to the wok to prevent sticking.
- Add 1tsp dulse granules, mix well. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and Thai/Vietnamese basil. Mix well for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat. Set aside jackfruit in a bowl and let it cool.
- Serve the salad room temperature on a plate with chopped roasted peanut and chopped cilantro/basil sprinkled on top.
- Dot it with Sriracha hot sauce on top and all over the salad. Each person can use the sesame crackers/pappadum to scoop the salad, dot with fresh squeezed lime juice and more vegetarian fish sauce.
Nutrition Facts (without sesame crackers)
Nutrition (per serving): 157.3 calories; 26% calories from fat; 4.9g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 484.9mg sodium; 424.8mg potassium; 28.3g carbohydrates; 2.6g fiber; 2.8g sugar; 25.7g net carbs; 4.0g protein; 3.0 points.